Monday 12 June 2017

Ellen heads to Brand Hall International for the National Junior Championships


My name is Ellen Hobson, I am a 17 year old event rider based in York competing up to Intermediate and CCI* on my two horses Kidogo King and Fernhill Finnegan.

Coming from a non-horsey background I have built a strong team around me since I started eventing back in 2013. In 2015 I was lucky enough to find Kidogo, a 15.3hh, 15 year old, chestnut roan gelding, who is incredibly trying, cheeky and a little demanding (when it comes to food). Having moved up to novice last spring and completing my exams, I travelled over to Ireland for a few days to find young horse to ride alongside Kidogo and move up the ranks with. After trying 9 horses on one day, we brought home Finnegan, a 16hh, 8 year old, dark bay gelding, who is a very ‘quirky’ (a nice word for spooky, opinionated and an overgrown baby), bold and talented – when I got Finnegan last year he had done bits and bobs but nothing properly, and his progress over the last year is incredible.

As the BE calendar was published over Christmas, I cautiously highlighted Brand Hall International, with the hope of qualifying and competing in the National Junior Championships.  With the goal in mind I set out to achieve my qualifying Intermediate run, where I travelled from my by base in York to the Central Scotland horse trials in Edinburgh. The event started with dressage on the riverbank at the base of almost a castle on a hill. Kidogo took me around all three phases like the complete legend that he is to finish 9th, in a section that included Ben Hobday on his Badminton ride Mulry’s Error!


Wednesday saw a full on day of packing the trailer with all our tack, the boys Equilage bales, Alfalfa and stable equipment, before we set off for the 130 mile trip to Brand Hall Thursday morning. On arrival we unloaded the boys, they had their passport inspection and then settled into their stables to munch down the grass floors. Meanwhile I took Kidogo off for a quick loosening up session before his trot up in the afternoon. I glammed up Kidogo, and changed into my trot up outfit, and trotted up Kidogo in front of the Brand Hall House. The evening saw us taking look at the one star course and giving Finnegan a cheeky peak at the arena walk around the international arenas.

Friday lunchtime saw my dressage test, excited to my tails for the second time, and to be able to do my double salute the two judges to conclude my test. Kidogo did a good test for 53.7 FEI. After his test I went for the a second walk around the one star course with Helen and then ANOTHER walk around the xc course this time around the novice.

Saturday was set to be the biggest day of them all, with the one star course to do on Kidogo in the morning and all three phases of the novice to do on Finnegan. An extended warm up for the cross country on Kidogo as unlike the usual one days, I had not jumped any show jumps prior to this. Knowing all seven of my minute markers and course in full we left the start box at pace with all to play for in the next 7 minutes and 25 seconds. Kidogo pinged around the course, eating up the ground; this horse is an xc machine looking for part D before I even turned to A.  As I came across the finish line we went into full speed ahead of wash down, studs out, cool boots on and vets on heart rate check. After about 10 minutes of cool down the vets gave the all clear for us to take Kidogo back to the stables, and have an unofficial trot up in a few hours. No rest for the wicked though as I was soon off to do Finnegan’s dressage test, where he came out little quick but settled nicely to do an improving test for 34. The showjumping followed where he completed a green but increasing confident round to jump clear. The weather started to turn from clear skies to grey as I set off across the country, but nothing was stopping Finnegan and I as we attempted the most technical course he has done. I pushed him for the time, opening up his huge stride and was to the minute until the last combination when I came with a bit too much speed and he completely ran past an incredibly skinny corner, when I represented he popped it nicely. Rather frustrating as he would have placed 3rd otherwise, but we are better for it and will make sure I test the brakes next time!

Sunday morning started very early as I was up to give Kidogo a pre- trot-up loosening ride. After trotting up soundly we then jumped in reverse order. Having walked the course I knew the distances were long and being on a short striding 15.3 anyway I knew we would have to jump in with fight to get out on the set striding. Kidogo did not show any signs of having been cross-country the day before and jump very well, however I came in a little too strong onto the treble and double to take out the front rails.

We have had an amazing week to finish 14th in the National Junior Championships, having learnt so much and gained championship experience.


Coming up Kidogo and I have a two day camp next weekend for the long list to be on the Northern team for then Novice U18 Championship held in July.

I'll be writing my Fulmart Blog every month so keep your eyes on the July blog for an update!

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment