Tuesday 20 October 2015

Herbie finishes in the top 10 at Aske in his first competition under international rules

Last time I wrote we were trying to get the last bit of harvesting done and I wasn’t allowed to put the heating on until we were done. Well, I’m pleased to say we got finished and I’ve now got the heating whacked up on full blast and I’m happily cooking away!

In my last blog I talked about the build up to our penultimate event of the season, the novice at Allerton Park and our final event of the season, the CIC1* at Aske. I’m pleased to say that both went pretty well!

Having moved Herbie up to novice earlier in the season, he took a couple of events to establish himself but he really came into his own towards the end. He was second at Richmond and then followed that up with a 6th at Allerton Park. This proved great preparation for the 1* and we headed up to Aske knowing we’d done all we could. It was my first event under international rules and was a mixture of being both exciting and daunting! We decided to stable up at Aske so as to take off the pressure and give Herbie a nice easy night without having to travel back and forth. We did our dressage on the Friday and it was truly fabulous to ride in a long arena in my tailcoat! We did a good test, I managed all of the sitting trot and Herbie really stayed with me. I loved riding up the centre line in all my gear and breathing it all in. My aim was to post a score in the 40’s so a 48.4 to leave us in 10th place was great.

Mum and I then made Herbie comfy for the night, grabbed some tea and bedded down for the night, knowing we had a busy day ahead of us! Saturday started with showjumping and the tricky course on undulating ground was causing plenty of problems. Herbie jumped his little socks off but unfortunately managed to lower two poles (one of them being the last fence which I’m taking full responsibility for!), this said, it was a tough course and 2 down round our first track of that size was a good result. Then for the cross country!

I’d walked the course with my long time trainer (and general mentor!), Zoe Rymer. She had given me a clear idea of what I needed to do although I do admit to a quick dash to her lorry for some last minute advice when I heard the course was causing so many problems! Fences 4 and 17 were proving particularly influential so it was nice to leave the start box knowing exactly what I needed to do. Herbie was brilliant! He flew round, listening to me when he needed to and giving me lots of confidence that he knew the job. He found the increase in height, technicality and distance well within his capabilities and I’m not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat when we crossed the finish line!

This solid performance meant we squeezed into the top 10 (in 10th place!). A top 10 finish in our first competition under international rules gave me a great end to a great season.

We then quickly slotted in a visit to a dressage competition to secure our qualification for the winter regionals (not till Feb 2016) before he had his shoes taken off. He is now enjoying time in the field, telling our little foal, Ginny Rumber all about his eventing adventures….I hope she’s listening carefully!

Thank you to Nick Gill for the photographs.


Lucie 

No comments:

Post a Comment