Tuesday 24 February 2015

After an American adventure it's back to work for Team Stephenson

February 2015


The 2015 eventing season is less than 3 weeks away and this is pretty much the only thing on my radar at the moment! 

Having been on a fantastic holiday for 2 and a half weeks I have come back to the sudden realisation that I need to pull my finger out and get Herbie ready for our first event of the season which is Askham Bryan Horse Trials on the 6th March.

My husband and I have been to America to visit my brother-in-law and some good friends who live over in Canada. We had an absolute blast with some skiing, catching up and then a 2500 mile road trip around Oregon and California. I think the biggest achievement though is that after spending all that time in a car together, Jim and I are still talking! We had a wonderful holiday and a really nice break but now I feel ready to get stuck in and finish off Herbie’s fitness program ready for Askham Bryan. I also need to do some fitness work of my own after the amount of eating and drinking we did over there!


As mum has been doing a lot of dressage with Herbie over Winter (culminating in a very respectable 12th place at BD regionals whilst I was away), the main focus is on his jumping and fitness. We did a lot of work on his jumping at the end of last year so now it’s about building on that. The plan is to take him showjumping this weekend and then to an arena one day event next weekend which will give me the chance to practice our dressage and showjumping on the same day. He finished off last season really well (with our qualifying result for Badminton Grassroots) so I’m really excited about what this season has to offer. Badminton is only 11 weeks away the things are really going to step up now!

We have also got some training with Fulmart sponsored rider, Tiny Clapham, next month which is really nice to look forward to.

Hopefully everyone is starting to enjoy the light(er) nights and the (slightly) milder temperatures, Spring can’t come soon enough for me!

Good luck to everyone starting the season shortly.

Lucie

No comments:

Post a Comment