Wednesday 11 October 2017

A tremendous season for Sam, finishes with one of her favourites winning the HOYS Foxhunter

The 2017 BE season is now over for me and it's been full of ups and downs but it has been fabulous. When we last caught up I had just enjoyed a rare weekend off due to the disappointing cancellation of Skipton because of the weather. We headed off to Bold Heath not knowing quite what to expect. After a 4 am start I was more than frustrated with Freddie's dressage score after what felt like a fabulous test.  He went on to jump his best ever double clear so I was feeling a little deflated as I watched the online scores showing us lying in 5th place. The class proceeded but no one seemed able to do a double clear and we ended up winning the section by quite a few marks and gaining the all important Osberton qualification we were looking for. Upsalls Lorna was unlucky to do her dressage in a monsoon and took quite a dislike at first but once she settled her work was so good she finished in 2nd place. The babies expertly piloted by Jasmine were also fantastic with Bollywood jumping her first BE double clear and Houdinii finishing in 6th.

Dayton scored another brilliant BD result the following weekend finishing 2nd in another area festival, I hoping he is saving his win for the semi's next month. With the gorgeous British weather putting paid to another event at Cumwhinton we decided to head for some showjumping at Sykehouse.  As a few end of season championships are getting close it seemed a good opportunity to introduce some of the horses to a bigger test. Both Freddie and Lorna stepped up without an issue; Lorna finishing 2nd in her first newcomers class and Freddie at just 5y/o doing his first 120 class, in the dark under floodlights.  He had a really unlucky pole but learnt so much.


Shelford saw us add a new member to the string in the form of Joanne Pullan's Diamante.  She made our debut together a winning one in the 4y/o qualifier, this was the first show this special young mare has competed in her life and I am very excited about her. Freddie stepped up to Novice without any hesitation.  He scored 29 in the dressage and flew double clear, just a couple of cross country time penalties saw us finish 3rd in good company.  This was also my first competitive appearance at this level. 

This was a great warm up for Burghley where the competition was stiff, as was the challenge, but as always Freddie stepped up well. He just missed out on a top 10 prize which would have been a fairy tale ending after the year we have had but I still wouldn't want to take another horse home. Every time out he gives me 100% and our partnership is becoming pretty strong. At Richmond, Dayton picked up his third consecutive Badminton qualification, even when the worn out jockey forgot her test for the second time in two days, whoops!  I also forgot it on Diamante but luckily she was so prefect that she still won the class on an amazing score of 23 almost 10 marks ahead of her rivals. Dayton finished 2nd in his qualifier so luckily all worked out fine and I think it was a kick up the backside I needed to slow down a little and get my head focused on the important events coming up.


Walking the course for the big class at Frickley on Friday evening was a bit daunting! Neither Freddie, Lorna or Doodle had seen anything so demanding and the championships were looking competitive with some seriously competitive combinations qualified. Doodle kicked the day off with a fabulous dressage which held her in 3rd place but her inexperience showed at the tricky water combination. Nonetheless I was so proud of her, she completed confidently and jumped a great showjumping round to end her season and in my opinion, has learnt so much in her 3 events she is looking very interesting for next year. Freddie did his best dressage test to date with Lorna not far behind to both go to the tough cross country in the top 10. I was conscious that the course asked things they hadn't even yet seen in training so I was prepared to train round but they both picked up the reins, pricked their ears and answered every single question without fault to finish inside the time, moving the both into the top 5. The showjumping was also a tall order for Lorna and an unlucky rail out of the combination was costly. The course was well inside Freddie's capability but I wondered if he would feel tired being only young and inexperienced.  However, he tried 110% and flew round clear moving us into the lead.  Unfortunately the winner followed us as she was closer to the optimum time even though our dressage scores were the same.  It was quite an emotional moment as there was a time that we didn't even know if we would have a Freddie so for him to give me his all and finish 2nd in this class where most of the horses were already double his age felt really special and exciting. Lorna also finished in 7th position which if you had told me as I walked the course on Friday evening she would just finish I would have been proud.  To win a prize blew all my expectations out of the water, she was only gingerly doing 90cm in March and this equaled a pretty decent Novice track. Dayton also had some of the limelight winning his 100 section on his dressage score after we decided the challenge format wouldn't suit him, I was pleased with my decision after his confident performance.

The weekend had been an excellent warm up for this years main aim the BE young horse championships. With a few bits to tweak with training I was feeling confident that I had done all the preparation I could. We had a fabulous draw as the times we had meant we did dressage on Thursday and the jumping phases on Friday. I felt this would be great as it meant I could really focus towards each challenge, as we left on the first day both horses were top 10 with Freddie in 8th and Diamante in 3rd. I was more than thrilled as there were some of the best riders in the world in the class. I really felt that both horses had given me their absolute best. Diamante made a silly error in the jumping that dropped us a place but her faultless cross country and confident performance at only her 4th ever show left us feeling so lucky to have found her. Freddie was just a superstar jumping one of few faultless double clears to pull up to 3rd, with the winner only two marks ahead. 

Bishop Burton was on the agenda for the following day but arriving to knee deep mud was not at all funny.  I attempted the dressage on Fleur and her bold attempt gave us a score of 29 but I decided against jumping and withdrew, my ponies are far to precious! Houdini and Jasmine having already done their dressage they decided to continue and jumped a brilliant double clear to finish 4th in their section and end their season in a fabulous place.

I made a special journey to watch a very special combination at HOYS and was totally blown away with their performance.  To think it was a year to the day that the outstanding Ebolensky gave me my first ride in a professionals championship at this very show it was a dream come true to go and watch her win the world famous and much sought after Foxhunter title with Mathew Sampson in the driving seat. They made me so proud, the team behind this amazing mare always knew she was special and for the 4 years I was privileged to ride her we often joked that one day she would win this class so to be sat their when this incredible combination made it look effortless was definitely a highlight of my career and a very emotional experience that I can only thank Ebolensky, Matt and the Evison family for making possible.  On that note i'm going to say bye for now as I sit and ponder what to do for the next few months now the season has ended.  I have a few things up my sleeve so I'll catch up soon and let you know how things go.


Sam x

No comments:

Post a Comment