Wednesday 30 August 2017

Frickley Park National U18 Championship gives Ellen and her Northern Team mates in a 6th place

In a space of one month we have two of the years biggest events of my eventing season.

Opening the month saw Frickley Park National u18 championships. On arrival on Wednesday afternoon, we parked up and stabled with the rest of the northern region, and then set off for a leg stretching hack before I took Kidogo to familiarise himself with the arena and grandstands. I had an early night before getting up first thing in the morning to give Kidogo a quick school before trot up, which he passed.  As the rain kicked in I began watching back the video of my last dressage lessons, before tacking up and heading to my warm up for 35 mins. I will be the first to admit that only two weeks before my test our dressage was at rock bottom. About 5 dressage lessons in 2 weeks, I felt like everything was on the line. He warmed up difficultly, with the slopping hill giving him every chance to run through the shoulder, but we worked through it and when called to the ring we had done all we could to prepare. As we went down the centre line I had never felt so proud, knowing where to optimise each mark after going through my test with judge Andrea Peel, he went through each movement accurately. Scoring our first 9 FEI, finishing with a total score of 46.9, with one judge giving us over 70%, this put is in 2nd place in the region, when I looked it up in the stables we were literally jumping around for 5 minutes.

That evening we went to the welcoming cocktail party before watching a demonstration out on the front lawn. Friday saw a relaxing day with no competition for me, so I spent the day watching other team members, K went on a hack and I walked the xc course with the u18 team coaches. We warmed up over some show jumps and xc angles, but with two people to go there was a hold on course so my warm up had to stop. Unsurprisingly K bossed around the 7.5-minute course inside the time easily. But I felt very strange when the rest of the team took Kidogo for his wash off and I was left jobless. The afternoon was spent walking K and checking his legs to make sure he was feeling his best for trot up Sunday morning and show jumping afterwards. After his sound xc performance we moved up into 14th out of 80 going into show jumping. Kidogo had a half hour loosening up school before trot up which he passed. As the course was changed for the one star, I watched the first few people jump out of the bottomless mud. Knowing that there had been only about 5 clears out of the first 50 to jump, I had to ride K more forward than ever before. A positive round meant that he touched a couple of the oxers in front. These three performances meant we finished 24th, and 2nd in the region, helping the northern team to finish 6th.


A week off work for K didn’t mean holiday for me, as Finnegan went to the pony club open area eventing at Northallerton. Where he posed a lazy dressage test, but scored his personal best mark of 29. He jumped an improvingly mature round show jumping round, but was caught up at a turning line to have the square oxer down in front. He followed this by jumping the quickest round xc of the day, placing him in individual 2nd and qualifying him for the pony club championships. However I am not able to take him as I am leaving for Millstreet International, Ireland with K at the same time.

Next month I will be writing about our adventures to Millstreet.

Ellen




No comments:

Post a Comment