Sunday 21 September 2014

FAREWELL TO MY STABLE STAR

September 2014


A lot has happened since my last Fulmart Feeds blog, most notably, we have sold Alfie. I still can’t believe it. I have spent the past 4 years saying ‘we will never sell him’ and referring to him as ‘Alfie the Wonder Horse’! It was such a heart breaking decision and one that mum and I did not take lightly. We bought him as a very green 4 year old and in that time have progressed through BE90s, BE100s and up to Novice level with some fabulous results along the way. These include winning the BE 90 Regional Final and ending up 11th at the Badminton Grassroots Championships and numerous other wins and placings. He really is a true amateur’s fun horse so we made the decision to let him go and have lots of fun being a super star for someone else! A friend said to me that sometimes in life the right decisions aren’t necessarily the easy ones and I think they were right!

For now this means I can concentrate on Herbie who I believe has lots of potential and hasn't always had the training he needs as I have been splitting my time between both horses whilst also juggling my job.  Herbie’s first outing since Alfie’s departure was last weekend where he did the BE100+ at Frickley Hall. This means novice level dressage, novice level showjumping and BE100 level cross country. It’s a good opportunity for horses to be stretched in the first two phases but then have an easier cross country round before moving up to Novice properly. Herbie performed really well with a fab dressage of 29.5, 2 down showjumping and clear cross country inside the time. Although he had 2 fences down in the showjumping I was pleased with him as he is still developing in this phase and with the fences considerably bigger than BE100 I felt he coped really well.   

Next stop is my last regional final on Herbie (at Aske) and then probably one more event before finishing the season. I also have a cross country lesson with Nicola Wilson on Monday at Allerton Park which I’m really looking forward to and will give me the chance to test Herbie out over a bigger track.

Finally, our brood mare was at the Stud this week for her final scan before Winter which all went well, we were told her foal is currently the size of a cat which makes me very excited indeed!!

Best wishes,
Lucie

No comments:

Post a Comment